Monday, August 19, 2013

Meet the Staff Monday--Summer Staff, Round 3!

ALSTON--
Where are you from? Brookhaven, Ms

How old are you? 19

How/when did you first come to Ecuador? Through my home church, Philadelphia Baptist Church, this past March

Why did you give up your summer to serve here at CdF? Because I felt it was where I was supposed to be and really wanted to be. I fell in love with Casa de Fe during my first visit, and I definitely felt the Lord calling me to come back.

What is your favorite thing about being summer staff? OR What has been the favorite thing about this summer? Not having to do construction, comic relief, getting to play and talk with the kids. Getting to sit and talk one on one is awesome for really getting to know that person. Each of the kids is amazing and getting to spend my summer with them was way more of a blessing to my life than anything else I could have done this summer.

What are your plans when you leave CdF this summer? I plan to spend a few weeks with family before going back to Mississippi College.


MOLLY--

Where are you from? I'm from Bismarck, North Dakota.

How old are you? 20

How/when did you first come to Ecuador? My first trip to Ecuador was this summer. I first heard about Casa de Fe when Patti Sue came to my college campus during my freshman year to talk to students about the foundation. I knew after hearing her talk that I needed to go volunteer at some point. My college takes a small group of students to Casa every spring break, but I knew that a week would not be long enough and that a summer would be better for me. After praying long and hard, I felt the Lord calling me to volunteer this summer.

Why did you give up your summer to serve here at Casa de Fe? I've had the desire to come to Casa de Fe for the past two years. I just wanted to serve where there was a need and love the kids like Jesus loves. Jesus clearly showed during his time on earth that he loved children and said we are to do the same. I'm just trying to do that the best way I know how!

What is your favorite thing about being summer staff? OR What has been the favorite thing about this summer? My favorite part of this summer was doing physical therapy with the children with special needs. Not only did I learn a ton, but I also grew so close to those children. My job did not allow me to get to know all of the kids at Casa de Fe, but I was able to spent large amounts of time with several of them and really get to know them personally. I was truly touched by the amount of joy they had and the unconditional love they showed me every day.

What are your plans when you leave Casa de Fe  this summer? I am spending the rest of my summer relaxing at a lake cabin with my family. I have also enjoyed spending time with my two newborn nieces! I will soon be back at school at Concordia College in Minnesota, where I'm majoring in biology and desire to become a physical therapist.

XANDER--
Where are you from? Shoreview, Minnesota.

How old are you? 19.

How/when did you first come to Ecuador? This summer was my first time in Ecuador and in South America.

Why did you give up your summer to serve here at Casa de Fe? It doesn't feel like giving up anything at all, but rather like God allowed me to have such a blessed experience. I spent a month of this summer down in Shell and the time flew by. I had no connection to Casa de Fe before this summer, but falling in love with the organization and the kids (at least in my opinion) is inevitable no matter how much time you spend there.

What is your favorite thing about being summer staff? OR What has been the favorite thing about this summer? Getting to know the Ecuadorian staff at Casa de Fe was an unexpected blessing. It also helped me learn Spanish, of which I know little to none. Being teased mercilessly when I struggled was a great motivator. (I did deserve it, though; there was one instance when I tried to ask if the kids could play foosball outside and accidentally asked if they could play with matches instead.) But my favorite thing about the summer is definitely seeing the individual personality of each kid. All of the children at Casa de Fe have a work ethic and eagerness to learn that amazed me every day.

What are your plans when you leave CdF this summer? To come back again. Also to get ready for my sophomore year at Wheaton College.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment