Monday, August 26, 2013

Meet the Staff Monday--Rick & Rebekah

This week's Meet the Staff Monday features two of our EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teachers from Casa de Fe School. Meet Rick & Rebekah Estes.

Rebekah--

Q: How long have you been in Ecuador/worked at Casa de Fe?
A: I've been in Ecuador for 2 years, and have worked at Casa de Fe for 1.

Q: What did you do before you came here?
A: I was a foreign English teacher in Taiwan for 9 years, with a heavy dose of music, theatre, and kung fu on the side.

Q: Why did you come here?
A: I came here to become more acquainted with my husband's country of origin, and to take a little break to figure out what was next. Casa de Fe was next.

Q: What is your job/role at Casa de Fe?
A: I work full-time at the school.  I'm the supplies coordinator, administrative assistant, an English teacher, and the music/drama teacher.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Ecuador/your job?
A: My favorite thing about Ecuador is its biodiversity - more specifically how in just one little country, you can travel to snow-capped mountains, cloud forests, rain forests, and the beach.  I'm also so thankful for the opportunity to get to know my best friend better by seeing the country he grew up in.

For my job, I like seeing the third-graders take pride in their English introductions, I like leading morning brain gym aerobics, and I love seeing kids "get something" that they've had to work for.

Q: How can our readers pray for you?
A: Golly.  Fervently, I guess. ;o)  This job is hard.  I need wisdom, patience, persistence, and unfailing (sometimes tough) love.  And margin.  I need more margin.


Rick--

Q: How long have you been in Ecuador/worked at Casa de Fe?
A: I was born and grew up in Ecuador as a missionary kid.  I've been working at Casa de Fe for a year.

Q: What did you do before you came here?
A: I was a foreign English teacher for 8 years in Taiwan.

Q: Why did you come here?
A: I came back to see my parents and Ecuador after a long time away, and to show my wife Ecuador as she'd never been before.  I was a short-term volunteer at Casa de Fe during this time, and found out that they needed teachers, so here we are!

Q: What is your job/role at Casa de Fe?
A: I'm the vice principal, an English teacher, and the visual arts teacher at the on-site school. 

Q: What is your favorite thing about Ecuador/your job?
A: My favorite thing about Ecuador is being home again, and my favorite thing about my job is teaching kids English.  I also like catching wild animals and teaching the kids about them.

Q: How can our readers pray for you?

A: Two things: keeping the balance between empowering the Ecuadorian staff, but also sharing my experience; wisdom, patience, and unfailing love with kids and coworkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment