Monday, September 2, 2013

Meet the Staff Monday--Jeff & Steph

This week's featured staff members are Jeff and Stephanie. These Bama fans are originally from Mississippi and have already fulfilled 15 months of their original 2-year commitment to Casa de Fe. Married for 19 years, they are parents to Jesse (16), Abi (9, almost 10), Ana Claire (7) and Ainsleigh Grace (4).

Jeff--

Q: How long have you been in Ecuador/worked at Casa de Fe?
A: We moved here on May 19, 2012. 

Q: What did you do before you came here?
A: By trade, I was a plumber for nearly 20 years. By calling, I had been a youth pastor for about 13 years.

Q: Why did you come here?
A: My son, Jesse, and I came on a short-term team in March 2011. I saw what God was doing here, and I saw that Casa de Fe needed help. I began to pray on the plane ride home for God to make a way for my family to move here if this was what He was calling us to.

Q: What is your job/role at Casa de Fe?
A: Maintenance Manager and Team Project Leader. 
As Maintenance Manager, it is my responsibility to keep all of the buildings and appliances maintained in the four buildings on Casa de Fe property. I also help with maintenance at our Casa de Fe missionary staff homes when needed. 
As Team Project Leader, I work with short-term mission teams. I make sure everyone is assigned appropriate tasks for their skills and abilities in an effort to make the most impact for their short time here.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Ecuador/your job?
A: I love the weather, even the rainy days. I love the kids. I love people, our Ecuadorian and missionary staff as well those that travel here on teams.

Q: What is your least favorite thing about Ecuador/your job?
A: About Ecuador: The inconvenience of not being able to get all that I need at one store. And some things have to wait until a team can bring them.
About my job: Again, the inconvenience. It's frustrating to not have the tools or parts that I need to complete a task. I am thankful for the teams that help us by bringing tools and parts when we ask for them.

Q: How can our readers pray for you?
A: Pray that I would always yield my will for His will. Pray that I would reflect Christ in all that I say and do.


Steph--

Q: How long have you been in Ecuador/worked at Casa de Fe?
A: We moved on Ainsleigh's 3rd birthday, May 19, 2012.

Q: What did you do before you came here?
A: I had done lots of things. My main job had always been 'Mommy', but I had also owned a couple of businesses through the years including a daycare and a consignment shop. In the year or so before we moved to Ecuador, I was a full-time stay-at-home mom to our children and foster-mom to a total of 8 foster children (not all at the same time). Looking back, I can see clearly now how God used all of those experiences to prepare me for my work here.

Q: Why did you come here?
A: Jeff and Jesse came to Casa de Fe on a short-term team in March 2011. Jeff came home ready to pack up and go, but I wasn't so sure. Jeff was praying for my heart to change, and eventually the Lord turned my heart toward Casa de Fe. I began to pray that if this was the Lord's will for us that God would break Jeff's heart for this place and have him lead us here as a family. That is exactly what happened.

Q: What is your job/role at Casa de Fe?
A: Donations Coordinator. I communicate with teams and individuals that are planning to travel here about items needed for the foundation. I receive those items, organize their storage and distribute them to the proper departments as needed. I manage the children's wardrobes, and have just spent the past month fitting everyone for school uniforms and school shoes.

Last year, I taught an Enlish-as-a-Second-Language class every day at Casa de Fe school. This year, I will be a substitute teacher for the English classes when needed.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Ecuador/your job?
A: About Ecuador: I like the weather, and the people are generally very friendly. The landscape is breathtaking as well, a constant reminder of a Wonderful Creator God.
About my job: I love seeing smiling faces when I give a new child a wardrobe and she realizes it belongs to her. I love being a part--even a small part--of something so much bigger than myself.

Q: What is your least favorite thing about Ecuador/your job?
A: About Ecuador: I don't mind walking, but the terrain, even the city streets here in Shell, are pretty rough. I also don't like that I can't order things online and have them delivered to my door. Spoiled, I know...
About my job: I am a bit of a perfectionist and often feel that I don't do my job well enough. (If you saw my work space right now, you might agree!) Also, my work space is on the 3rd floor of the Multi-Use Building, so it gets very hot up there. I try to keep a positive attitude by calling it "my sauna"!

Q: How can our readers pray for you?
A: Pray that I will hunger and thirst for Him above all else. It's so easy to get caught up in "working" for the Lord and neglect being still before Him, worshiping Him, enjoying fellowship with Him and being fed from His Word. Pray that I will love like Jesus--with grace and mercy and sacrificially when necessary.

You can read more about the Freemans' experiences in Ecuador at their family blog Life with these Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment